Finally, motivated to work on my doll that has been just a head and a torso for so long.
She kinda looks like the main character in the movie Brave. Dressing her in a Celtic Medieval fashion seemed like the thing to do.
My poor doll. She has put up with so much dressing and redressing.
The photo below is the first incarnation of what I came up with.
Don't like it!
This next photo below, is more in the direction that I had envisioned, but not quite.
I tried drafting a dress for from my mind. Big Mistake!
Those sleeves are horrendous!
And what is the deal with the little bird?
Back to the drawing board.
The photo below is her now.
Redrafting her dress worked better this time.
I like how this sleeve worked out, but I attached her arm too low.
Her arm looks dislocated, as I see her. Not so much in this photo.
I almost forgot to tell you.
After all the dressing and undressing and redressing her poor torso was getting a little dirty.
I used a "new to me" pattern to sew a a new torso and legs.
So far she is happy!
I think the most fun about making my dolls is letting them decide who they want to be and how they will look.
I seem to always start with the eye's. Once I have made a pair of eye's that I like then the doll starts to develop a personality and take on a life of their own.
I was inspired by Doll Madders Muse and learned how to install eye's and add eye lids and eye lashes from her tutorial. Click HERE Go check her doll making wonderment at her blog!
Some doll artists say to have a photo of a face for reference when sculpting and painting the face. I do my best work when I have one reference and just let the dolls face work out on it's own.
This doll is working out so well. I'm so pleased, I couldn't have ever imagined she would look like this before I started.
I will post more pic's as I progress with this doll.