Saturday, April 7, 2012

Umbrella Re-Do Into a Parasol



This is the first Parasol I have ever re-covered. Created by tea dyeing the fabric. I made the pattern from the old fabric that was on the parasol. I adapted a doily pattern from "The Ultimate Doily Book" from Americana school of needlework book #1185. 





I had to create the edge of the doily the way I did so that it would lay flat on the parasol. Then I pined it in place with the parasol open and sewed the edge in place. I thought tacking it down would be enough to secure the doily to the fabric but it wasn't.





Before putting the fabric on the frame I sewed the fringe on the edge of the fabric. Then attached the nibs that hold the fabric to the frame.


The final step is tacking the parasol arms to the fabric so they don't move around and so that the parasol opens correctly. I hope you like my first attempt at making a parasol. Feel free to leave a comment about this latest project of mine. :0)

This is the first Parasol I have ever re-covered. This commission has been completed and delivered.

Created by hand I tea dyed the fabric, created a pattern from the old fabric that was on the parasol. I adapted a doily pattern from "The Ultimate Doily Book" from Americana school of needlework book #1185. 

 

8 comments:

aśkin said...

Oh, this is so beautiful! I love it!

Ginger Burch said...

Thank you so much!!

Yeshka said...

Awesome idea! It looks really great :D The second i saw it I imagined stylish ladies in long dresses protecting their heads from the sun with similar umbrellas :D

Ginger Burch said...

Thank you so much!

Kathy said...

That's just beautiful! Let me know if I have this right: You started with a regular umbrella and crocheted the embellishment based on a doily pattern. It seems that you may have replaced the main fabric as well. Is that correct? I'm thinking I should go to a little boutique where they sell old-fashioned items. Maybe I could purchase an umbrella with a fabulous handle. Your umbrella handle really helps the whole look. Thank you for sharing this - I don't think I'd have thought of it myself. Now, of course, I'd like to make a couple! (It'd be very handy here in sunny Arizona)

Ginger Burch said...

Kathy, I was given a job of recovering a old old umbrella to make it more 1880's. The umbrella fabric was very distressed, I chose one of the in tack panels to create a pattern for new fabric. I chose a quality quilters cotton and tea dyed the fabric. After all the new panels were sewn together and attached to the umbrella frame I had to take it off and take in the seams a little more to make the umbrella took good open. This took several tries. After all that I then started crocheting a large doily until it wouldn't lay flat agents the open umbrella. I then attached the doily to the umbrella . That is were I started the chaining loops to finish it off.

I hope that helps you.

Thank you so much for your comment.
Have a great day!

Ginger

Anna Geraghty said...

Absolutely stunning. What a family heirloom that could become. You are a very clever person. I would love to be able to make one so I am thinking about it!!

Ginger Burch said...

I'm so happy you like it! I will be making another one soon and posting a tutorial for everyone! I hope I get it up in time to be of some help. If you have any questions let me know. I'm happy to help.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

link